New England Highway Overpass
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
- The Toowoomba Second Range Crossing project consists of a 41 km bypass, including: 24 bridges, 6 interchanges, 9 creek crossings and one viaduct.
- 41-kilometre long bypass route from the Warrego Highway at Helidon Spa in the east to the Gore Highway at Athol in the west, via Charlton.
- Delivering an alternative crossing of the Toowoomba Range for all classes of heavy and super heavy vehicles
- Relieve pressure on Toowoomba’s roads, and enhance the liveability for the city’s residents.
Expected completion end of 2018
- Construct large concrete arch support blocks for a new bridge
- Complex design due to the inclined abutment face
- Designing around the ties that were affixed to the existing rock surface
- Single sided pour
Project Engineer – Structures - Central
“Trying to come up with a formwork system design that met all of our needs was a challenge. After careful consideration, we decided the best solution was to use the PERI VARIO system.
This system allowed us to form this complicated bridge arch support, as well as meet all of our time requirements, safety components and budget. The entire process from engineering to installation of the formwork was seamless, as PERI provided the expertise and support needed.
With the help and supervision of PERI site personnel, we were able to construct the shutters safely, quickly and properly. We definitely wouldn’t hesitate to utilise PERI’s system and expertise in the future”.
- PERI VARIO systems flexibility allowed the rock anchors and dense reinforcement detail to align with the girder spacing.
- Designed a special shutter to allow for both the dense reinforcement and a cast-in plate with starter bars protruding.
- Intricate VARIO Panels were built on site by Nexus Delivery, under the guidance of an experienced PERI site supervisor.